The Vanderburgh Humane Society provides pet food to needy families who are having a temporarily difficult time feeding their pets on a monthly basis. This helps to ensure that fewer pets in our community suffer from hunger or end up in shelters from a lack of available resources.
Food assistance is offered:
3rd Monday of every month
(closed for major holidays and inclement winter weather)
12:00-3:00 pm first-come first-served
- Families may only receive food assistance once every 8 weeks OR no more than 8 times per year if all pets in the home are spayed or neutered.
- Families may only receive food assistance once every 12 weeks OR no more than 4 times per year if all pets in the home are not spayed or neutered.
- Food assistance is never provided for litters of puppies or kittens or to anyone who breeds animals intentionally or accidentally. If your dog or cat has a litter, we can assist you in bringing them to the shelter to be adopted.
- Owners must provide a valid photo ID with proof of address. No other forms of proof will be accepted.
- Only one (1) individual from every household/address may receive assistance, and the individual must be at least 18 years old.
- Owners may not request specific types or brands of food. All food is donated. Please be aware that a sudden change in food may upset your pet’s stomach. VHS staff & volunteers are not responsible for this.
- Food is distributed on a first-come first-served basis. Cat food in particular runs out very quickly. Lines typically form around 11:00 – 11:30 am on food assistance days.
By accepting supplies, you are agreeing with the above rules and terms for assistance
Food assistance is not offered anytime other than the days & hours listed above.
VHS volunteers and staff reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. Our decisions are final and disrespect will not be tolerated.
The public can donate any brand of dry dog or cat food for the Pet Food Assistance program Tuesday-Saturday from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm!