Thank you for picking up this pet and caring for it. Almost anywhere is safer than being outdoors where they could be hit by a car or injured by another animal. Here’s what to do next!
- Call us at (812) 426-2563 to see if anyone has recently called about the same pet. Time is of the essence. We no longer record lost animal reports in our database.
- Check Pawboost and Petco Love Lost to see if the animal could potentially be anyone's lost pet!
- Have the animal scanned for a microchip ASAP. This is a free service offered by any animal shelter or veterinary clinic.
- Post the found animal on the Evansville Lost Pets Facebook page. Be sure to only post the animal’s picture, where & when they were found, and a phone number where you can be reached. Ask anyone who tries to claim the animal to identify the other information: the pet’s sex, collar color, special markings, etc. This will prevent someone from claiming the animal as their pet when they may not be. Ask the owner to show photos or vet records to prove ownership. If you’re not sure, contact the Evansville Police Department.
- If you cannot hold onto the animal, please contact Evansville Animal Care & Control at (812) 435-6015. They can come and pick the animal up to be taken to their shelter, where it will be held for at least 7 days before being put up for adoption to give their family time to reclaim them. Remember: being in a shelter with food, water, and safety is always better than running the streets. DO NOT release the animal onto the streets if you cannot keep it, and DO NOT give it away or sell it on Facebook or Craiglist!